Grand Rapids ArtPrize Art Adventure 2013 Itinerary Highlights:
Subject to change
Thursday, September 26:
- Arrive early to settle into your hotel, get your bearings, and explore the neighborhood.
- Join GRAM Director Dana Friis-Hansen for an optional dinner (pay your own way) and “ArtPrize at Night” walking tour! Meet at 7PM at GRAM’s Front Door.
Friday, September 27:
- A Kickoff Rally! Start out the morning with early Museum entry, welcome orientation, coffee and pastries, and a chance to meet your fellow Art Adventurers. Register to vote for your favorite ArtPrize Artists.
- Tour Grand Rapids Art Museum with Director Dana Friis-Hansen and Associate Curator Cindy Buckner, focused on the thematic exhibition, ArtPrize 2013: Reimagining the Landscape and the Future of Nature, located on all three floors of the Museum. Meet some of the 20 artists working in painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, video, and installation art whose work were chosen from a competitive review process.
- Private luncheon at the Museum, on the veranda overlooking the historic city center with cultural leaders from the community.
- Stop into the ArtPrize Hub to see the 2012 Grand Prize Winner, Elephants by Adonna Khare and take home some fun and colorful ArtPrize souvenirs.
- Trolley Tour of the artistic and architectural highlights of downtown Grand Rapids at various ArtPrize venues.
- Rest a bit with snacks and coffee and a tour of the newly-opened Downtown Market. Meet local food expert and author, Lisa Rose Starner, who will share her insights into Grand Rapid’s food culture.
- Continue exploring ArtPrize venues selected by the GRAM Curators, including Kendall College, urban murals, and more.
- Enjoy cocktails and a tour of a stunning private collection in a warm and welcoming home at the edge of a small lake on the outskirts of Grand Rapids. The collection is filled with art focused on American Painting from the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, sprinkled with a few old master gems, and treasures from world cultures.
- Return back to your hotel in time to enjoy a night of fine dining at one of GR’s noted restaurants, live music, or Arena District barhopping.
Saturday, September 28
- Start the day at GRAM with a tour of GRAM Selects ArtPrize 2012: Encore, and exhibition of highlights from the previous year juxtaposed with works from the Museum’s collection with dynamic conversation.
- Go behind the scenes and meet the curators at noted ArtPrize venues, including the expansive modern home of the Urban Institute of Contemporary Art, with a welcome from the Board President.
- Embark on a special Local Restaurant Hop and meet the artists whose work is on view in each location.
- Enjoy some time on your own this afternoon to visit the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, go shopping, revisit your ArtPrize favorites, or put your feet up for a few minutes before making your way to the high-rise River House for the best view of the city.
- Be among the first to see the new home of GRAM Director Dana Friis-Hansen, meeting a mix of artists, collectors, and cultural leaders while enjoying tasty treats and cocktails as the sun sets.
Sunday, September 29
- Enjoy Brunch at StartGarden, the latest project of ArtPrize Founder Rick DeVos, in a renovated storefront. Meet StartGarden and ArtPrize Founder Rick DeVos and the new ArtPrize Director Christian Gaines and learn about how Grand Rapids is mixing art and innovation in ways that is capturing international attention.
- Walk to selected ArtPrize venues in the Hillside District and meet with artists and curators, including a private tour with the curators of SiTE:LAB, a collection of artist projects amongst the dioramas of a former natural history museum.
- Our Art Adventure ends back at GRAM where we’ll be able to hear the 1PM announcement of the ArtPrize Top 10 Finalists.
- At 2PM, you’ll be free to head back home or continue on your journey within the city, the region, or beyond…
- Guided tours by GRAM Director and Staff as well as local cultural leaders, artists, and experts.
- Local Transportation on the tour.
- Two lunches, two continental breakfasts, and two cocktail parties.
- Welcome Packet including ArtPrize information, local guidebook, and list of recommended restaurants.
What’s up to you:
- Transportation to Grand Rapids and outside of the hours of the tour (airport code: GRR) [We request that you book flights that arrive anytime Thursday, September 26 and depart after 4 pm on Sunday, September 29]. Consider coming early or staying longer to explore the riches of Grand Rapids, West Michigan or Detroit!
- Due to the popularity of ArtPrize, hotels are selling out of rooms. GRAM has a limited number of rooms, for Art Adventure participants at the JW Marriott. They are available to participants on a first come-first serve basis. To book rooms reserved by GRAM, call Elizabeth Wilson Fischer at 616.831.2919.
- You are welcome to book hotel rooms on your own; please know GRAM reserved rooms will not be available when booked individually.
- Stay after Art Adventure ends to enjoy what Grand Rapids and Michigan has to offer.
Reserve your Spot! Space is limited to 26 participants, so reserve now! Click here to book your space or get more information. Take advantage of the discounted price for non-members through July 15.
Art Adventure 2013 is subject to change